Wampanoag Costumes

We made "Wampanoag" costumes out of t-shirts. I loved this costume project b/c it was cheap and required no sewing! First I cut tassels on the bottom and arms. Then we treated them with 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water for 1 h (this helps the dye set when we dye them).



Rinsed in water after the vinegar treatment.


Dyed with cinnamon and tea. We just simmered it all in water until we got a deep enough color. Then we used tongs to pull them out and added another batch of shirts to the pot. After we were done, we washed them in washer and dried them. I've washed them multiple times by now, and they retain the color nicely.


I added beads to the tassels just by knotting them on. It really didn't take much time to do. You can wash and dry these like normal, but I do it in a net bag just in case any beads fall off during washing (which hasn't happened yet).


A shell necklace finishes the costume nicely.


Welcome to my home (granted, the Wampanoags didn't have tee-pees...they had wigwam type things...oh well).


Just part of the Thanksgiving fun.

2 comments:

nannykim November 18, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

Really neato idea!! If I can use Chip's computer , I may use this for a metamorphosis Monday idea!!

Heather Iverson November 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

I am feeling quite ashamed of myself for my lack of creativity in finding thing to do with Katelyn. How do you think of these things? I think we need to come stay with you for a few days!

Labels